How many more threads devolve into BS ?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dave Humm, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

your statement, van zandt, reminds me of the thoughts that atheists use, when they talk about religion, assigning arguments to people, to people that don't even use that argument.
    You can develop ki if you try. If you don't you won't.
    Only osensei could do 'no touch ko'. You think that people that shot at him believed that they couldn't hit him?
    All these new 'great ones' who think they're the new osensei---They might be acting like they can do 'no touch ko', but they can't.
    Again, belief has nothing to do with it.
    Belief had, nor has nothing to do with it.
    Its just a matter of try, nothing else.

2. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I can understand how a thread on ki can degenerate when the mystic Meg's get hold of it. But for the life of me how can a thread on Kuzushi fall apart. Aikido is a throwing art, when throwing someone posture has to be disturbed kuzushi. No magic, a skill developed with practice and time.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes, threads will be closed if it turns into bickering. We want discussions, not shouting matches.

That's part of the story. The other part is that you and Toad have no credentials for what you're saying: no aikido dojo, no aikido teacher, no aikido lessons that you can reference. We all know where Dave Humm trains. We could drive over there and get on the mat with him. Likewise the late Koyo, likewise Polar Bear, likewise Aikiwolfie, likewise likewise likewise. My primary dojos are linked in my signature.

It's a mark of both respect and legitimacy. I respect the other guys enough to tell them who I am. From a glance at my dojo they know I'm legitimate. A person who does not respect the forum members enough to be so open cannot complain if and when he's shot down by those members.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Being the mod who has closed most of these threads I'll tell you all why I did.

1. The threads were descending into farce and members on both sides of the arguments have in the past ignored my requests not to feed trolls or to stay away from subject matter they have no interest in and stay on topic.

Not having the patient I once had and tired of banging my head off a brick wall and policing grown adults. I now simply close threads that spiral out of control. This is my prerogative as a Topic Mod. If you don't like my approach take it up with a senior member of MAP staff.

2. While I have no issue with divulging my martial arts history on MAP as is the case with most of our members. Some members clearly feel the need for an anonymity security blanket and have refused to divulge any details at all. Which is fine. That is their choice to do so.

Some members have however taken this as excuse to derail threads at every given opportunity demanding some sort of certification. MAP is an open community. It's open to serious martial arts practitioners every bit as much as it is to hobbyists or even just casual observers.

If our more serious martial arts practitioners continue acting like ass hats every single time someone doesn't want to divulge which dojo or gym they train at. Nobody will come here. MAP will become a minority board with limited points of view. Which I suspect would suit some people.

3. Yes you read that right. Some of our regular members who have taken it upon themselves to call out certain other members as "trolls" are just as responsible for derailing threads. When complaining about the behaviour of the "trolls". Please reflect on how you are behaving now.

4. When I became a topic mod here on MAP I very quickly noticed there was little to no respect for the moderation team. We do what we can to apply the rules fairly. The fact that someone you don't agree with hasn't been permanently banned is no reason to throw a hissy fit.

With all that said thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.