Myers-Briggs (MBTI)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hapuka, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

First of all I just wanted to say long time no see and that I'm looking forward to returning to the martial arts.

After a years break I can definitely say Ive been missing it. Some great things have happened though since I have left MAP. I found a job and Im excelling in my studies. I am currently studying for my diploma in visual arts.

Also recently I have been studying up about Myers-briggs (MBTI) with one of my close friends who is a psychologist.

My questions are however is, how reliable is it? can it help with martial arts training? Is there anyone else here that has studied it?

The strange thing was when I did the MBTI test with my friend the result was ENFP, however when I did a similar test online I found I was an ENTP. :confused:

I took the test here; http://www.mypersonality.info

And these were my results; http://www.mypersonality.info/hotkebab/

I just thought it was a fascinating subject that I should bring up.

Cheers,

Hapuka.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's a personality test. it doesn't do anything by itself, it only gives you data (that will only be accurate if you answer the test questions truthfully). YOU can go and do things with the data it gives you, but it's sort of a paradox, since you need to know yourself to answer truthfully (even if you're being honest it doesn't necessarily mean it's how you are, only how you think you are), but if you know yourself well enough, the test itself becomes superfluous, since it will tell you what you already know (albeit organized in a respectably concise manner)

fwiw, i've consistently been an intj for years.

3. Fish Of Doom

this particular one is very black and white, by the way, with only two very obvious choices for each question. this time around i got intp, but there are a lot of choices in which i was very tempted to chose the other one to get intj, partly because of the knowledge that almost all my previous tests have given me that result, and a lot of other questions i found were too extreme in their answers, where i would have preferred more of a middle ground.

http://www.mypersonality.info/fishofdoom/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Those were some intresting results.

I see what you mean by black and white with the introverted and extraverted.

I was like that with sensing and intuition.

When I had a quick look at the Extraverted Intuition Function page I could see why I had a mix of ENTP and ENFP.

Intersting.............. :thinking:

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I'm no psychologist, but I've known a fair few and from what I remember isn't it too subjective and pop-psychology-y? I could be completely wrong mind, but thats how I remember it being seen as.

6. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I remember doing this test ages ago, I think my result was ESTJ. Extrovert, Sensing, Thinking, Judging is what I seem to recall.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That was....interesting. I had problems picking a definite answer to the multiple personalities bit and i think the results for it are a bit off, but the personality one made sense to me
    http://www.mypersonality.info/aaroncronk/

If you're into these sorts of tests though I'd say have a go at the army pathfinder on the british army site. It was bang on when I did it.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Welcome back girl!!:cool:

Your 'Would you kill?' thread is still running!

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I used to administer the MBTI all the time as a career counselor. I'm no expert. (You can go really deep into the MBTI if you're so inclined.) But I've got a decent feel for it.

First, about your results. I generally come out as INFP or INTP. That F and T switches for me just as it did you. My clinical supervisor said that this happens frequently. Particularly with me, but often with women as well. Because our natural inclination might be toward "feeling" but society encourages us to be "thinking." So we waffle between the two. Either way, the MBTI also measures strength of preference between those two poles. So if you showed a slight preference between F and T each time, it only makes sense that you'd fluctuate between the two. Same could be said of any pairing in which your preference is balanced.

As for whether they're accurate, I'll tell you what I told the students I was advising: It doesn't matter. Letting an assessment tell you who you are is unequivocably a bad idea. The better use of the MBTI is as a launching pad. Basically, when we used it, it was to get the student started on some structured introspection about their interests and preferences. STRUCTURED. That means that they don't necessarily have to agree with everything the assessment tells them. What they do need to do, though, is have a well-considered reason WHY they agree or disagree. Because arriving at that is where the introspection comes in. Asking yourself how you arrived at that result, why you think it's true or faulty, etc., that's the self-analysis part. And if you're doing that, you win.

I'm sure others' opinions vary. And, as I said, I'm no expert. But that's my view. The process is more valuable than the result.

Stuart

10. Dhalsim-on

Dhalsim-on Banned Banned

I've been INFP every time I've taken it.

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I used to be of the opinion that the test really offers no more useful data than, say, a star sign. I'm not so sure after reading ap oweyn's post though.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I got to about question 20 and gave up. I could pick either answer depending on what, why and who. Really couldn't continue with it honestly:bang:

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

14. Fish Of Doom

15. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

INTP - I'm a closet psychology geek. I'm a fan of Carl Jung's work and the MBTI is an extrapolation on his work. :love:

Right now I'm postulating Maslow's Hierachy; the lack of indoor plumbing is preventing me from reaching self-actualization. :D

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Oh god, that makes the three of us.

I am having a BLAST tonight with this MBTI information, I haven't been this mentally stimulated for maybe two years. All this information is so.... amazing. I am DEAD tired, but I can't stop reading.

I was just having a conversation with Fish about how I find certain Atheists to be annoying because their reasons for an Atheistic position is based on some humanistic or emotionally-involved ideology, and which is why I will sometimes adopt a position to argue AGAINST them. Because for me, it doesn't matter if they are a theist or atheist; if I find their logical reasoning to be flawed, I view them with equal disdain, whether they are religious or not.

I am such a jerk...

ap - I am completely baffled as an INTP, on how your Ti and Fi functions can actually fluctuate. For me, at least for the 6-7 years or so, the Ti function is completely dominant. Because as you should well know the Fe is the Inferior/Fourth function. As such the change from INTP to INFP would mean your lowest function suddenly changes to your primary/dominant one. And as such, an extreme crossover.

Perhaps I am an extreme case, as my introversion is sitting at 100% as per the test (and on other tests as well). Of course, the tests do not determine who I am, but it does server as a reference point for self-analysis which I find extremely fascinating, in any case. I don't ever seen a point where the F(i/e) function even remotely crosses over. For me, it is extremely underdeveloped and being emotionally open is something I find utterly repulsive and almost life-threatening, or perhaps a better way to put it is "intellectual suicide."

Oh and if I am incorrect about anything please correct me. I am extremely new to this, and don't quite understand exactly HOW these functions are classified, namely WHY/WHEN they are stated as "extroverted" or "introverted."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  17. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

MBTI is sorta interesting for spurring discussion and stuff, but I guess my main problem with it is that, from what I understand, you don't see the sort of multi-modal distribution that you'd like to see if you were really uncovering some sort of underlying 'personality-type-division' variable.

18. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Maybe you should look into Socionics as well as MBTI. Some compare and contrast, at least for me, is so interesting and fun.

19. Fish Of Doom

20. Fish Of Doom

retook this AGAIN. INTJ again.

last set of results and current one here (wide image):

INTPOO.jpg