Hi, where can I learn kali or escrima or other traditional Filipino MA's upstate NY?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Kev331, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Kev331

Kev331 New Member

Where can I learn this stuff upstate NY?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

upstate new york?

there's pekiti-tirsia kali through guro douglas marcaida in rochester (www.rochesterkali.com) if you email him, please put "mabuhay ang bayani" in the subject.

i hear kali atienza is in new jersey (nujoysee, as my friends from brooklyn say).

3. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

GURO MARCAIDA

Hi,
    Definitely check out guro marcaida.
    Strong pekiti tirsia practitioner and very entertaining dude to be around!
    gord:)

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

don't forget that he also has KDL background!

5. Kev331

Kev331 New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Sorry I couldn't get back to the thread sooner, have had a busy week.

Unfortunately that is over an hour away. Nevertheless, I will go down and check it out. It's definitely worth taking a look at at least.

Kev331:woo::bang::)

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I suggest you look at the school directories on the following websites..

www.fmadigest.com and look at the school directory there

www.martialartsresource.com and click on the filipino martial arts link, then go to the filipino martial arts school/instructor list.. it is updated every june and is in alphabetical/ by state location..

7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Where are you?I'm in upstate NY and have contacts w/FMA folks.

8. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

There are some of us FMA folks in Syracuse and Cortland (Just south of Syracuse)... where do you live?

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

FMA in upstate New York

Doug Marcaide would be a great choice. You might also consider Jack Latorre - also from the Rochester area.

Tuhon William McGrath of Pekiti Tirsia International holds an annual summer camp in Fishkill (near Newburgh on IS 84); this year's curriclum will be advanced single stick. Camp dates are Aug. 22-25.

Best,

Steve

10. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

i think that's a must.:cool:

11. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Pekiti Teachers in Upstate New York

Not sure if there are any PTK-GO instructors south of sourth or east of Rochester in New York state. Doug will be able to let you know.

Chris Fry of PTI is in Utica. Is that closer to you?

Chris' contact info is on the PTI "Schools" link, about 3/4 way down the page.

EDIT: I assumed that you were south and east of Rochester - but you could be north, or west, of course...

An hour's commute would not be too much to study with Doug or Jack - at least for me.

Best,

Steve

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009