Help me Wit Side Kicks please! :star:

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Ninja Monkey, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey Valued Member

:star:well my side kicks are lip hip height

iam self taught but i can do a perfect axe kick and good back kicks crescent kicks and hook kick

But i cant get my side kicks hi at all cant someone give me some stretches that incress side kick height and give me a side kick routine 4 practice thanks

2. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

ok, im new to these forums, but give me a shot.

try doing side leg raises before hand and the standard hamstring stretches.
    warm your hips up as well.
    and be sure not to lean back wards to get that extra height.

in my opinion, its just flexibility with your legs. i happen to be quite flexible can kick above my head with ease.

i would be keen to hear in the response to this question, tips for getting more power into higher side kicks.

3. Ninja Monkey

my legs are power last timei check while doing my leg hold i can kik 16 inches over my head its just the side kick that kills me wen i try to do one it hurts only kick i cant do and its annoyin iam try wut u said thxs 4 the help

4. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Where is Superfoot when you need him.

Warm up first
    Ok side leg raises are a good start as long as you increase the height of the raise as your leg begins to feels comfortable with the stretch i used to use a wall for that follow up with sitting down with legs as far apart as possible use both hands to reach for one foot at a time then lean forward trying to get your head or better yet chest to the floor aiming for 130 degrees split or better (eventually) then as you get more flexible after a few months work your way SLOWLY into side splits
    Hope that helps

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Im guessing here that if you can do those kicks flexibility is not a problem or at least your working on improving it

Sounds to me your trying to do a 90 degree + side kick with a straight leg. So if you are self taught try the following :

1. Your supporting leg shift 70% of your weight to that leg

2. Turn your supporting leg foot away from the kick i.e its facing backwards or the wall behind you.

3. Start with a low side kick then each time you kick bend your supporting knee. Which will help gain hight

If you want to get a bit higher each time as you bend your knee bring the rest of your body over the supporting knee keeping your hands in guard and kick as if your trying to do the splits from floor to ceiling

6. d8v1d

d8v1d Valued Member

couple of other tips

1) Make sure the knee of your kicking leg is past your centre line (this is a big must for power)

2) Make sure your foot is at same level as your knee and it is pulled back (try kicking with your heal as this focuses the power and it is made up of hard bones)

3) Also do leg raises lying on your back and on your side with angle weights on, start off light and then work up. After a month of training i can now plant a side kick in someones face who is the same heigh as me (6foot4)

7. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

There really is no substitute for having an instructor teach you, watch your technique and make corrections.

As you already have the motivation to practice at home, it would mean you could practice techniques you have been shown.

Can you make it to a local class?

All the best,

Andy

8. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Granted although (and I may be wrong here) TKD like to have side kicks landing with the foot sword rather than the heal. Regardless of the point you land with the foot after allot of practice the power should be the same from heal, ball of the foot, flat footed or even foot sword it comes down to the application of the kick and what the target is

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There is your first problem.

If the pain is on the outer-thigh side of your hip, then you're feeling the top head of your femur grind into your hip socket. You need to rotate your pelvis (push your butt to the rear) to give your hip room to move. Your posture should look something like this:

[​IMG]

You may also find the following videos helpful:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXttPHX_5E"]YouTube - Superfoot Wallace Stretching 05-11-2004[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJF2rLaRAZM"]YouTube - Superfoot Wallace training for high kick with the chair[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  10. Ninja Monkey

thanks the chair routine helped me out alot the frist one is kinda hard

11. Ninja Monkey

thanks the chair routine helped me out alot the frist one is kinda hard

12. Endless

Endless Valued Member

If I were you I'd just to a lot more side kicks, while leg rising exercises help a bit, there's really no substitute for doing the kick itself. Do a few hundred on each leg. What you really want to develop is muscle memory of the kick. Start low and perfect your technique, then move higher. Remember plenty of water and warming up.

13. TKDTraditional

TKDTraditional Valued Member

Is your goal to kick higher or kick better?
    Do you often need to kick very tall people or do you expect to scare them away with high kicks?
    I would recommend powerful or fast kicks rather than high kicks. Concentrate on lifting the knee and allowing the hip to tilt to gain additional height. Flexibility is important once you extend your leg but correct knee and hip position is the beginning for power. Don't sacrifice body position for height. If your head and shoulders drop, it feels like a higher kick but you're also losing body momentum to rearward motion.
    Practice kicks in slow motion.
    Get an instructor.
    Use periods and correctly spelled words. :eek:)

14. liero

liero Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j1w--TjqVY"]YouTube - Revolution of Kicking - Side Kick[/ame]

watch...

learn...

Love...

then find an instructor!