This is not the greatest thread in the world either. Just a sequel to the tribute.

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Hissatsu, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

No, stop putting words in my mouth. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and ninjutsu are not synonymous.

2. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

I saw you lead him there Kagete, however, I think you are adding a little more confusion to this thread that it could really do without.

I would hazard a guess and say that the videos on Youtube represent less than 10% of the schools out there. that includes the training methods employed at those dojo. Suggesting that they are the majority would be wrong in my opinion. The majority of Bujinkan practicioners are not active forum members, do not post their stuff online and are just busy getting on with their training.

There is no way of knowing this for sure but based on the ammount of footage/ people posting (usually for the same offenders.) Vs the number of practicioners - thats a very small percentage.

I agree with Daniel in that what you see obviously does show some Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (as interpreted and practiced by those individuals.) However, what is seen does not represent the art as a whole. Therefore, it is not a yes / no answer to the question asked.

3. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You should tell him to stop posting then...he was obviously a bit confused to begin with.

4. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Topher - Stop posting.

5. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

Ninjutsu on YouTube consists of stuff that looks crap and IS crap, plus stuff that will look crap to the uninitiated but ISN'T.

And only the beholder's knowledge of the subject matter will permit them to determine which is which.

There is a little bit of ninjutsu that looks good, but ninjutsu that looks good is dead, just as polishing a sword does not make it deadlier.

And we can't all be Kacem Zhougari or Moshe Kastiel, whose genuine skill matches the slickness of their youtube clips.

6. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Taijutsu created on the fly by skilled people ALWAYS looks cooler than anything rehearsed. I'm assuming it's taijutsu and not ninjutsu you're talking about for simplicity's sake.

7. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

There's plenty more to ninjutsu than taijutsu. (But taijutsu is a part of ninjutsu.)

8. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

There's ninjutsu and there's Ninpo.

9. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

I agree, but there is another element and that is uke's attack. If uke's attack is a well rehearsed well drilled single attack or combination it is a million times easier to create something 'on the fly' to go with it.

If someone allows uke to do anything they like, or lets a thai boxer or MMAer launch an attack of their choice and STILL creates something cool on the fly, then I am more likely to be impressed.

I also like to think I can spot the examples of Soke and other skilled people in action where I know that what they are doing would work against any attack, including totally unrehearsed non-taijutsu attacks.

It doesn't help either when a fantastic clip gets taken off youtube.

This one was the best I have seen in a long while. Best of soke, best of other practitioners.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csMCFHyKW5g&feature=related"]YouTube - THE ESSENCE OF THE 9 SCHOOLS OF BUJINKAN NINPO TAIJUTSU[/ame]

Contact the poster and see if they will send you a copy because it was pretty good.

And yes of course I was talking about taijutsu, including taijutsu with weapons and the taijutsu of ninjutsu.

10. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I love everyone in this forum. The arguments that go on are like the bickering between married couples. Even if you practice ninpo or not.

Can a mod tell me if this is the most argument filled forum or not? haha it seems to be.

Having said that... Isn't what some of you boojers saying pretty much a "not a true scotsman" fallacy?

"Bujinkan is a wonderful organization that teaches some of the best MA in the world."
    ::Shown a youtube video of crappy Bujinkan::
    "Well that's not the TRUE Bujinkan."

??

Ive argued for the cause many times (im playing a bit of a devil's advocate here) but I just wanna see what some of the opinions on the matter is.

Do you think its just because the type of people that generally put up youtube videos are the type of people that "dont get it"? Or, like someone else said, the people who take their training seriously (and therefore are generally of a better caliber) dont bother with the interwebs or training videos and the like? (Like a hermit living in pre-technology times)

11. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

Yes.

5 of the last 6 shihan I have trained with cannot be seen ANYWHERE on the internet in video footage. They have all been filmed at some time or other however, and some of them have been generous in making such video material available to their students, but even their students are of sufficient calibre not to upload the whole lot for the titillation of the youtube generation.

I have also not appeared in any video clips on the internet.

At least not doing martial arts anyway. ;)

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=34Dcx0S1JY8"]YouTube - The Last Dragon - The Glow[/ame]

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's only the trolls that unify them. Only then for minutes, great isn't it?:bang:

I guess that's the beauty of larping, theory based martial arts. Nothing ever gets proven.

13. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

Nearly 8,000 posts, are they all as good as this one?

I'm sure your martial offspring will be so proud in years to come.

p.s. it's ALL larping unless you take away the ref and make death and injury by any means the only objective. Unless it's sport. And then it's erm...sport.

14. Moi

Oh get off your high horse, before some TKD guy kicks you off it. I'm only posting to stop you ninja's fighting amongst yourselves. I don't know what it is about you guys that make you devoid of a sense of humour unless a watermelon is involved.

.........99% of my posts are like this, the other 1% include posting in the 'What are you listening to now?' thread. What of it?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  15. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

You want humor? There's a jokes section right here.

I also find those fruit jokes and their concurrent thread diversions to be asinine, but perhaps you could offer posts in this forum that are actually constructive?

Then don't expect to be taken that seriously, or to have your input be even the slightest bit appreciated here.

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Martial Dad although it maybe your standard posting method please don't drop in just to get some people's backs up.

17. seattletcj

seattletcj Valued Member

Yes exactly.
    From my experience, what you see on youtube is representative of at least 75% of the org. At least.
    There are lots of videos on youtube from different groups, and shihan,from all over the globe.
    Its an accurate sample in my opinion.

18. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

I have to say, I agree. I'm a big fan of Shihan Arnaud Cousergue but youtube only has like two 10 second vids.

My biggest pet peeve is when someone executes a technique flawlessly, and because the uke doesn't have a realistic idea of how to react, it looks faked and stupid(i.e. Metsubishi, Kyusho, Strikes etc.). The result is, anytime I show them to anyone, I have to add all sorts of qualifying statements that ends up seeming like a cop-out.

Accurate Portrayal of Martial Dad's Posting History Here:
    Martial Dad: Ninjers are stupid and I don't respect them.

Ninjers: Go to another sub-forum then.

Martial Dad: No I like it here, many lulz. Geez you guys are such pussies.

Ninjers: That was rude. Go to another sub forum.

Martial Dad: Can't you guys take a joke?

Ninjers: Whatever.(Moves on to another thread)

Martial Dad: Surprise! Did you guys know that I think you're stupid, ineffective sheeple? Just in case my last 3000 posts here weren't clear enough. You guys are stupid! LOL, Larpers!

Ninjers: God dammit MD, GO AWAY!

Martial Dad: What's wrong can't you take some honest evenhanded unbiased criticism?

Ninjers: Of course we can.

Martial Dad: Good 'cause you guys are a bunch of fags. lol.

Honestly man, get a hobby.(Other than this)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  19. Moi

You're welcome:cool:

20. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

I haven't actually got onto my high horse in the first place because bajutsu is one of those out of the 18 skills that none of us will ever get to see. :razz:

TKD, now there's a practical art for looking afteryourself in a jam packed riot.

"Nobody stand near me, I need room to kick!"

p.s. I am currently listening to Christy Moore, Live at the Point. You don't need to understand the watermelon thing but you do need to get Irish humour and musicality to enjoy Christy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.