favourite learning stuff.

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cloudz, Apr 11, 2007.

?

your favourite tai chi learning tools

1. form

52.9%
  2. qigong

29.4%
  3. neigong

35.3%
  4. push hands practices

64.7%
  5. 13 postures

29.4%
  6. one step sparring/ martial applications

47.1%
  7. alive drills/ pad work

29.4%
  8. sparring

58.8%
  9. weapons

35.3%
  10. silky reeling/ fajin

29.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

How do you learn ? This is the topic I wanted to ask about, but then it kinda turned into a multi choice poll.. hmm

Simple question really, or is it.. Maybe it's some taoist riddlesome trick question. How do you learn ?
    Anyway, please tell me how you learn. What things, experience, stuff etc. really helped you learn the most, drove home the point so to speak. This point that point, whatever. What stuff helped you learn what stuff best.

What has been your learning experience would you say. The best, worst and anything else inbetween. What would you say is your favourite things to learn/do related to tai chi / martial arts. As well as least favourite maybe. For example is there anything that maybe you have stopped doing in your practice.

Thanks.

ps. standing is included in either neigong or qigong i guess... there was a lot to think about

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Sparring!

I find it the most useful for learning the fundamentals mentioned in the Tai Chi Classics. The one step applications stuff are fine for getting an understanding on what you want to do, but it lacks much required for good fighting technique.

Some people quite new to the club (a few months) have been interested in the more 'rough and tumble' and come to the sunday class which is beat each other up time, and they are 100x better at applying applications in the one step kinda thing than others who don't get on the mats and throwdown. They have a much better understanding of their own body mechanics and how to manipulate other peoples bodies.

It is much harder, too hard for some as the initial tense up thing we all go through at first it hard to battle, which is lacking from all other training. But over dilligant practise you start to master these and get more and more relaxed and move better. You have to really think and constantly remind yourself of your aims and goals, but it starts to happen. I have a long way to go but I have also come a long way.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nice one brido!! :)

i'm a bit jealous .. your very own rough and tumble class *sniff*

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Some ways i have learnt stuff..

Teachers and fellow students alike.. same, same?
    Fudging things up!
    repetition.
    trying things on non complient people and fudging them up!
    Reading MAP & other forums/internet/others experience.
    making mistakes
    experimentation.

I sometime wonder what/ how much i would have come to learn about tai chi if not for MAP / the interweb :eek: other than from my first teacher and maybe the odd book.

Not that i know that much, but i know a bit..
    (mostly 'cos i don't like to work too hard, and can get away with it.. )

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  5. Rockland

Rockland Valued Member

Same here. While we do go over applications nicely, it's mostly a show-and-tell for the teacher. I'd relish the opportunity to actually do the physical application parts. But I guess there is a concern for people getting hurt...

I checked forms because that (and qigong, to a lesser extent) is the basis for what I'm experiencing. It's not so much a preference. It is what it is.

That said, I do "cheat" a bit and look at all kinds of sources other than my regular instructor. I really don't share with him that I do that, out of respect for him.

6. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I have a little square scribbled on an old chocolate wrapper with an assessment of my learning methodology on it. The four corners are (in no particular order):

1) Exercise discernment (sort the wheat from the chaff).
    2) Look to the Classics.
    3) Watch and learn (see and interpret what people ARE doing, not just what they say they're doing because unconscious elements may also be present).
    4) Experiment (try things out on your strongest friend).

Sorry if these sound a bit vague. Goes with the territory I guess :D

Today I imagined how a Tai Chi driving lesson might go...

"In the beginning there is stillness. From stillness comes movement, forwards, back, left and right, this is driving - you must understand this."

:D

7. Zuarko

Zuarko Valued Member

Haven't tried sparring yet, only a little of pushing hands, and it's great! I love the martial applications, I like to throw people and being thrown (more if I throw them, hehe)

Forms are a great way to impress people too :cool: :D

And weapons are great too! You continue applying the principles but a little different, and you can impress more people!! :p

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

but i'm so easily impressed zuarko, especially by anything to do with COOKIE MONSTER!! :D

I want to click push hands too as my fourth choice. In fact i'm feeling so geeky right now i want to make a list..

It seems p/h is in the lead!! and i see someone couldn't resist picking all ten10,, no prizes for guessing who............... :p You been on that sexy jing gong again mate!? with the damage that can do it'll be safer to enter the UFC or something

I've never done any taiji weaponry, and wouldn mind a stab......... at the Yang jian plus knife form sometime. I saw a clip from moontagu recently were he was showing how the knife was concealed by the two fingered hand position of the free hand. i think jian compliments well and would be great for developing good movement. definitely something for the future, quite distant right now.

It's fun starting your own thread, you can just babble on about anything you fancy really..

What about that spurs result eh :woo:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thanks jk, I like this. Especially that last bit. Though you must understand also zhong ding (central equalibrium) - this is sitting in traffic jams. :)

10. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

ah yes, to traffic on the right... you give way

when driving in France, you yield the left side...
    :D

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL... my wrist hurts :D

Also, I think there should be a choice for "getting beats", I seem to do that a lot... invest in loss and all that.. :eek:

edit: Just had a look, some people picked more than me.. I feel outdone... invest in loss, invest in loss... na, I think I'll just click everything before my wrist gives out.. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007