Ju Jitsu Check-in

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by mhyst, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mhyst

mhyst New Member

Dear Aegis and global mods,
    The CKD, karate, kung fu, ninjitsu and TKD forums all have check-ins, and i think we should have one too. i don't know where else to put this, so once you've answered feel free to delete it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

mhyst: Good call.

ok, I'll start

Hi, I'm Aegis on MAP, Ian in real life, and for the last 5 or 6 years I've been addicted to Jujutsu. I started my martial arts training at age 11 in judo, and for the most part spent my time having fun and not caring about competition and such. After I turned 16 I switched to the Kyu (senior) syllabus and entered national competitions to convert my school grade into a real one, eventually reaching 1st Kyu (high brown belt) in BJA Judo. Once I had done this, I also took my Club Coach Award, but never did anything with that qualification.

At about the same time as I joined the Upper Sixth form in my school (age 17; Upper Sixth is the final year before university) I started training in a sporty style of jujutsu (Tae Jutsu Kai), and continued to do so right up until I left for university the following year. I learned some fun stuff there, but was somewhet disappointed with the emphasis placed on the sport side of things, much preferring the sessions where self defence/more traditional jujutsu was covered.

I started university in September/October 2000, and found my university Jujutsu club to be very different to what I'd done before. The style was Shorinji Kan Ju Jitsu (aka "Jitsu"), and I decided within a few sessiosn that this was the style I preferred so far out of all my training to date.

It's now 2005, and I'm still training in jitsu. I'm currently a 2nd Kyu, and my next grade will hopefully allow me to teach what I know in an official capacity as a Club Instructor.

As far as MAP goes, I found this place a whiel back and have been posting rubbish since!

3. mhyst

mhyst New Member

Me

Woohoo! Thanks Aegis :D
    My martial arts biography isn't nearly as long or interesting but here goes:
    i'm Sarah aka Mhyst. When i was 6 or 7 my parents got my brother into a small jujutsu club (wouldn't have a clue what ryu), and after about 3 weeks they got me into it too. I did that for about a year, but i don't remember feeling anything about it. I remember loathing jazz and ballet when i was that age, but nothing about the jujutsu, except that i got most improved at the end of my first year :D (that's just because i sucked so much when i started ;)). To emphasize that point, it took me my whole first year to get my yellow belt, but boy was i proud when i did :cool:

So after a year (it took me about that long to learn how to do a forward roll too), we moved across the state to a country 'town' (technically a city). I went to a couple of MA lessons there (i forget which it was, could have been tkd) but the instructor didn't show up to any of them so we waited outside for our parents to pick us up.

Four years later we moved back to Brisbane, and i started jujutsu up again. I used to do Kyushin Ryu Jujutsu for about a year, now i do Koryukan Jujutsu (traditional) and could not be happier. I am now 3rd kyu (blue belt-brown tip). Anyhow, that's about all from me... except that jujutsu is my LIFE and i love it to bits. :D

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

About time we had our own check in! :D
    I'm Sever, aka Ben. I started out in jiyu ryu karate at the age of eight, trained hard and got my black belt at seventeen (I was 1st kyu for 3 years as I wasn't allowed to go for the black belt until sixteen, then I had knee problems). After continuing my training, I became dissatisfied with the way my class was going (learning ten more katas for 1st dan? No thanks!) so I quit and did muay thai for about eight months before injuring my knee and having to stop. During my recovery, my family and I moved. I tried a couple of karate classes but found them seriously wanting, so I let my training slide while I went to university, played in some bands and got myself a neck injury.
    After all this was done, I was out of training for about six years, out of university and working part time in a supermarket. I was bored, out of shape and I started thinking about getting back into MA again. I searched around and found a ju jitsu dojo right around the corner, so I checked out the instructor as best I could, all seemed above board, went along to the class, thoroughly enjoyed it and have been there ever since.
    I do kempo style (currently only an orange belt, red belt test soon) with an extra curricular grappling class (my instructor's also a 1st dan in judo) and soon there will be a kobudo weapons class starting up as well. Kempo ju jitsu seems to fit me very well; there's lots of striking and sparring involved so I can use what I learned in my previous training, and the grappling and defences fill holes in my game. Now if I could just convince my instructor to run a no-gi grappling class so I'll have an excuse to buy a pair of Sprawl shorts, I'll be very happy :D

Donald McIntyre likes this.
  5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I'm actually not a frog in real life :eek: Sorry to break that to you all. My name's Hannah and I do IT for a manufacturing company.

I started training in ju jitsu at university when I was 19 because I wanted to learn some self defence techniques, and I got hooked. I trained pretty solidly while I was at University, entered a few sports ju jutsu competitions, helped out running the club and generally had a laugh. I also studied in France for a year and while I was there I trained in a traditional ju jitsu style, and in judo.

After I left Uni, I carried on training for a while, but got too busy with work, etc and took 18 months off training. I got back into things again and finally took my first dan last year, 8 years after I started.

I still help out at the Uni club when I've got time, and I train regularly. I've had a bad couple of years for injuries, so I've started to do yoga as preventive maintenance. I get a fantastic workout from it and I'd recommend it to anyone. Oh, and I've recently started going to a submission grappling club, which rocks!! :D

6. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

Hi, I am munkiejunkie, and I started jujitsu in october. Because I am under sixteen, I do the junior curriculum, and I am an orange belt (only six rungs in the junoir curriculum, I have done two gradings). I have done a bit of judo and a bit of taekwondo, and I am extremely pleased with jujitsu (we do sparring/ground fighting/randoori every session).

7. melted.marsbar

melted.marsbar New Member

Hi! I'm melted.marsbar (although I'm usually known as Mitch).

I've just started jujitsu in January (1 month ago) and I really enjoy it! I'm a white belt, but of course I can't wait to move up.....white belt sounds a bit wossy....

So anyway, I train with "mhyst" (she's really good so don't EVER try and hurt her, cause u'll be the hurt one)

But I'm just rambling on so I think I'll stop there.....

8. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I'm Gunyo Kogusoku (AKA: Steve)

I originally started out about 19 or so years ago with judo and karate, then moved on to modern generic self defence jujutsu. I started reading a lot of literature on Japanese budo, and got into iai in a big way, while still studying modern jujutsu.

My interests finally got me to Japan where I lived for almost seven years and I became a member of a number of koryu (classical schools) bujutsu ryuha. I learned jujutsu, kumi-uchi, kenjutsu, iaijutsu, and a lot of other weapon skills. I've only been in the UK now, for about 3 months and will be making regular trips back to Japan for demonstrations and study.

Anyway, that's me. :)

9. Xian

Xian New Member

I joined a group of about 6 jujutsu guys, one of them is a Hakko ryu blackbelt and a brown belt in Gracie Jujutsu so he serves sort of as my instructor (as I dont attend class like the rest of them do, my current class is Wing Chun). I joined about 3 weeks ago, it's great fun.

10. Moony

Moony Angry Womble

Here i'm Moony and on other sites i'm Moony too!

i'm also known by my other name of Angry womble.

I've been doing Jiu Jitsu since 2001, i started in my final year at uni. I've reached Purple/3rd Kyu in my main style and i currently cross train in a couple of other styles when i can.

I'm currently employed to watch people and i'm a qualified rock beater.

Moony

11. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

Hi everyone, I am budogirl, aka Anji. My intro to MA was Judo when I was 7 years old. Instead of taking it up as a hobby, I did amateur dramatics. In 1998 I went to a free women's self defence class during International Women's week which was really Kempo Jujitsu. I got into it but moved across to East London so had to leave the class. When I came back to my part of London I looked around for a class...eventually found another Kempo Jujitsu class near me in 2002. I've been there since.
    I am currently orange belt - should have done my Green by now but have missed a few classes because of my day job. we focus on street self defence - we don't use japanese terms except when we bow to the sensei and when he says stop. I love the self defence, the visciousness of some of the syllabus and the fitness. I have started boxing recently but find it hard - much harder than jujitsu and not as fun. I just wish I'd started earlier. :D

12. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

I Do shindo jiu jitsu
    Imagine MMA suited for self defense....kind of...

13. Fightgear

Fightgear New Member

Hi
    I'm Roy. I own a fightgear company called...errr... Egithgear UK and we're in... errr.. the UK!!

Background, well started martial arts in 1971 with karate before quickly doing kung fu as well. Started Wing Chun in 1973. Got my Black Belt in Shorin Karate in 1976 and 3rd Dan (by accident) in 1979 and that grading was my last ever lesson in karate! Attended first ever JKD seminar in the UK by Dan Inosanto in 1978. Studied a JKD derivative whilst also attending every JKD lesson I could until I moved to the States in 1987. Worked for Black Belt, Karate/Kung Fu Illustrated and MA Training as well as UK magazines. Also had the chance to train under a Brazilian brown belt doing a Masters degree at the University I studied at back in 1988-89. A guy named Sean Alberto. Studied under the late great Bobby Baker in Oakland JKD for two years before returning to the UK in 1990.

Started teaching JKD in 1995 and organised the first ever BJJ seminar over here back in '96. Been teaching it and JKD since then.

In BJJ trained under the Alliance and Carlson Gracie banners which was fun but didn't like the exclusivity side of things.

We opened up Fightgear because there wasn't any really good quality UK fightwear companies selling at realistic prices or with the kind of service we wanted. Having tried some of the Brazilian companies, we (my Brazilian business partner and me) decided we could do better.... so we did and we have!

Still teach at a pretty large University in the North of England and still enjoy it!

14. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

To fightgear.
    Hi Roy, "Briton" here, I thought I would join this link too as JJ is part of our training and could lead to some useful contacts.
    Glad you run a company for MMA equipment as some of our lads compete in MMA with "Pride & Glory" run by "Ian The Machine Freeman" & Mick Nokes. They have sponsors but are always on the look-out for deals.
    I will give your site a good look at. We tried ML Sports but they keep saying they have no stock of certain goods, so we bought from Brazillian fightwear. You may have a new set of customers?
    The JJ we practice is "Miyabi-Kan-Setsu-Ryu" supervised by our Senior Coach Phil Hughes MBE. 7th Dan. Phil has an astonishing history of combat, military and civillian.
    The issues we tackle are "control and restraint" which is one of the hardest areas to be proficient in within the law, but Phil is an expert at that... excrutiatingly expert.!
    I`ll search for link to formally introduce myself to JJ group.

"Peace and Harmony"
    BRITON

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  15. Munen Mushin

Munen Mushin New Member

Check in

Munen Mushin here of as other people call me...Steven. This will be brief because I actually talk less than I type. Started Ju-jitsu back in 89 ( was hooked as soon as I saw it) picked it up just like breathing. Some years later went into the U.S Army Airborne Rangers 11-C/B did a few school, became one of the Companys hand2hand combat instructors. Left the Army did more training and recieved my 4th Dan. I have my own school where I teach the mess that I've accumulated in my head and called it Munen Mushin Combat Ju-jitsu. Well that's entirely toooo much typing for me.

T.T.F.N

M.M.

16. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Hi there,

Name's Laurence (but you can call me Leo) and I've just started Jujutsu to make up for my lack of grappling in TKD. I've been doing TKD for about 15 years but now I'm focusing on Jujutsu and plan on making it my "main" MA for a while until I hit Shodan. Then I'll probably do them both to balance out my training. I look forward to the good advice I'm sure I'll get from this forum!

Nice to meet you all. :D

17. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Hey Leo.

Ju Jitsu's a great art, especially if you get the right class/instructor. I did Tang Soo Do before I switched over. Think you'll enjoy it. :)

18. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm studying in Scotland, under Sensei Ross who founded the Scottish Jujitsu Association (SJJA). So far I've found his lessons tough but enjoyable. :)

19. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

Oh, guess it's only polite to introduce myself!

My name is Mike and I'm currently doing Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu in Edinburgh, which I've been doing for just over a year. My club used to be part of the Scottish Ju Jitsu Association (SJJA) but broke away late last year for various reasons. I'm currently 5th Kyu but more important than that I've learned a lot since I switched from TSD, which I did for about 4 years on and off. Many things about TSD were pretty good but the lack of decent sparring, grappling and takedown techniques lead me to finally leave it behind. Before that I did Lau-Gar for a few months but that was a few years back. I've also done a little Aikido, Boxing and Fencing in my time.

20. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Hi, my name is Jason and I started TKD in the summer, and stopped going when school started up. I went back for about a month, and then quit the school and went searching for other schools in my area. I found a nice BJJ school, and have been doing it for a couple of weeks...but only 2 times a week at the moment. Rolling is really fun though, and I find BJJ to be very enjoyable.