What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Series, box sets, they're everywhere and we love them! I thought it might be nice to have a thread on what you're watching, looking forward to, your recent favourites etc.

Currently myself and the good lady are on a big Downton Abbey catch up. Grabbed the 1-4 box set and we're positively gorging on the ways of early twentieth century aristocracy and their servants. Oh Papa!
    Maggie Smith steals the show every time. It's ok, I quite like it really.. Feels like a guilty pleasure.

I've got The Americans waiting for me, and recently watched True Detective. Wow, can't praise that enough. Dark, philosophical, atmospheric, well acted and paced (I love slow when it's this good). Highly recommend that one.

cheers

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

There is already a thread about TV! :p

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102681

I've just finished watching the US version of The Killing. The first 2 seasons are excellent, 3 was ok, 4 was watchable but not up to much. I hope they will finish the series and not drag it out any more than they have done. Should have finished while things were good.

Last night we started watched Bron/Broen (The Bridge) series 2 (Swedish/Danish detective series). Although series 2 is brilliantly acted, has a great script and is very atmospheric, the plot seems a bit silly.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't tend to watch many series (serieses?) these days, because I tend to feel like I might start watching them and then start missing them due to other stuff. It feels like to much of a 'commitment'. And I'm far too immature for commitment.

Also, I tend to just assume that they will probably be rubbish, and then by the time that everyone else is raving about them, it's a bit late to catch up!

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I know what you mean. Some of those HBO type things that are 8 series long and have 12 one hour episodes seem a bit too much of a commitment. They usually run out of ideas by the 3rd or 4th series and If I've watched a few serieseses, I end up being determined to see it through.

It's one of the good things about Netflix. You can watch a series at your own pace and if you lose interest half way through, the series can be background music while you clean the living room!

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Breaking bad. Got the whole set for chrimbo and I'm just starting on season 5 (IIRC).
    At 45 minutes long they are ideal for having on when I workout on the old weights.
    Well worth a watch.

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I saw The Flash advertised recently, coming to Sky1 in the UK pretty soon. I think I'll be giving that one a go.

Know what you mean Johnno, if I miss the first 1 I never get into a series. Hoorah for catch up tv and series links!

Dallas has just started up again on 5.... another guilty pleasure. I'm an addict! lol

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At teh moment just "Dr Who". I am Waiting patiently for "The Walking Dead" to restart and also liking what I see in trailers with "Gotham"

Also awaiting "Ripper Street" 3rd season on Amazon prime when that comes out and "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" should be out soon

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The Strain
    Face Off - reality TV SFX comp

Cant wait for Gotham!!

9. Hannibal

Face Off is a great show! Forgot about that!

Also a huge fan of "River Monsters"...watching a lot of those on Netflix

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Extant. Can't praise this show enough. Seems to be a trend at the minute with Hollywood A-listers transitioning to TV. Halle Berry plays Molly, a scientist who returns from a 13-month solo pace mission pregnant with an alien offspring. Extremely well acted, delicious visuals and brilliantly written.

TUF 20. Starts airing tonight, so I'll be glued to it like crazy.

Supernatural. Tenth season is out next month. Watched every episode since it began in 2005. Probably more excited for season 10 than any other, what with Dean becoming a demon and all.

Big Bang Theory. Need I say more? New season begins this month.

Criminal Minds. FBI procedural show that follows a group of profilers as they track serial killers across the US. Pretty much the same formula every episode, but one that has been done brilliantly for over 10 seasons. Again, new season out this month or next month, not too sure. New cast includes Jennifer Love Hewitt, so extra bonus :love:

[​IMG]

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hm. I'm reserving judgment on Gotham for now. Not sure how a show about Batman is going to work without Batman...

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just finished up American Ninja Warrior and So You Think You Can Dance. Enjoy those immensely.

Looking forward to Supernatural and Sleepy Hollow a great deal. I've also followed Supernatural from the beginning. (Not its broadcast beginning. I watched most of those seasons on Netflix.)

Downton Abbey is a favourite in my household as well. And we also watch a ton of Scandanavian murder mysteries. Just finished up watching Mads Mikkelsen and company in Unit 1.

Edit: I'm also watching the final Matt Smith/Jenna Louise Coleman Dr. Who series. With heavy heart. I loved David Tennant and, much to my surprise, I loved Matt Smith.

13. Hannibal

Ripper Street worked without Jack the Ripper! :)

14. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I've posted in that thread--seems so long ago!

Shows I'm watching...

Blackstone
    Boardwalk Empire
    Broadchurch
    Hannibal
    Line of Duty (hopefully there will be a season 3)
    Longmire
    Mad Men
    Manhattan
    Orphan Black
    True Detective

Will start with The Killing on Lily's recommendation when I get the chance.

15. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

I watch:
    Arrow
    Game of Thrones
    Supernatural
    House of Cards
    Orange is the new Black
    Suits
    The Big Bang Theory
    Modern Family
    Son of Anarchy
    Satisfaction
    Vikings
    You're the Worst
    Silicon Valley

Looking forward to gotham
    I'm probably forgetting quite a few. I even have an online tv calendar, can't keep track of them all otherwise.

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

At the moment...

Vikings
    Dr Who (New Doctor is incredibly dark)
    Hustle
    Once Upon a Time
    Star Trek: Voyager
    South Park whenever I catch episodes I haven't seen before/seen in a long time.

17. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Right now not much. Looking forward to Arrow and Hawaii 5-0 returning soon.

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

The Strain. It's pretty damn fun!

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Downton is usually nice

Just watched Utopia Season 2 I liked it dark and cynical.

I still keep intending to watch serial experiments lain but I don't get round to it.

I have been watching the heartbeat reruns better than most programs on the terrestrial channels i've found.

Boardwalk Empire
    I've liked all the way through. The setting and the acting both stand out.

Someone recommended Sopranos so I'll start that.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Maybe. :)

Just I've watched the Gotham trailer a few times now and all it says to me is "crying little orphan, wah wah wah." Exploration of Gordon's character and also those of the villains *could* be good, but really, we needs to see some Bats to buy into the Batman world.