Black belt testing tomorrow... yikes!!!!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AussieGirl, Feb 10, 2017.

1. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

*breathe*

*breathe*

I'm only just slightly freaking out. Tang Soo Do black belt testing tomorrow.

2. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Good luck!

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Go show them what you can do!

Mitch

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Good luck, breathe deep, kick bottom!!!

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

good luck!

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Good luck! :D

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Go forth and conquer :D

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hope you have a great test!

9. khuang85

khuang85 New Member

Take your time during the answering questions part and do your best. And don't get frustrated if you make a mistake.

10. Giovanni

in what style is the test?

11. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Best of luck, though I'm sure you wouldn't be asked to test if they thought you weren't ready !

12. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

Tae Kwon Do Tang Soo Do :) Our school is quite traditional with forms (both empty hand and weapons) and one-step combinations, in contrast to the free sparring emphasis of the ATA/WTF schools in my area.

13. Giovanni

i'm sorry, can you explain when you have a chance. it's tkd? or tsd? or is it both? i thought those were distinct styles.

14. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Break a leg! ;)

15. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

It's tang soo do based on the ethos and techniques/forms that we learn, but this is the federation patch on our uniforms... <shurg>
    [​IMG]

16. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

Wow that photo posted huge. Sorry! I'm not sure how to make it smaller...

17. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Hoping to hear good from you later today... (well, maybe tomorrow for me, as I'm the other side of the pond!)

Travess

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Go get 'em girl.

19. AussieGirl

AussieGirl Valued Member

Thanks everyone - I PASSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had expected the test to be hard, but... wow... Just in case anyone else finds this thread in the archives and reads it before their test, here's my take-home lessons:

- fitness is critical. I am SOOOO glad that I hit the gym hard for the 5-6 weeks prior to the test. Some of my fellow candidates couldn't handle the continuous intensity. I've never done so many burpees in my entire life. Our test went for 5 hours, then we had a 1 hour rehearsal for the graduation ceremony performances.

- acknowledge your mistakes. In our test, we had 9 judges and only 11 people testing (9 for 1st degree, 2 for 2nd). They WILL see mistakes you make - you can't fumble through and think it won't be noticed. For us, the rule was that if you made a mistake (during a form, for example) you had to bow out and shuffle to the side. Afterwards, you were allowed one chance to repeat that element. However, if you didn't acknowledge your mistake, it's a fail because it's seen as dishonesty.

- hydrate well in the 24-48 hours beforehand. You'll need it.

- keep your water bottle near your weapons. In the 5 hour test, we only had one official 5 min water break. However we did have to return to our bags periodically to collect or deposit weapons. Great chance to grab a very quick sip.

- bring running shoes! I didn't expect to finish the test with an outdoor mile run, but thankfully I wore running shoes that day! Some of the candidates were running in flip flops.

- Crying during testing is an instant fail.

- Turning up late to testing is an instant fail. Be early. They actually started ours 15 minutes before the official start time. I have no idea why.

- Just keep going. We had one section where we had to spar each of the school's black belts in turn. It was brutal (and made me realise that I need to be waaaay faster in my techniques if I'm going to avoid the headache that I have now from taking several hard knocks to the head). But you can't give up. Just keep going and the pain will eventually end! LOL

I hope the above will help someone!
    I've actually just returned from my first training as a black belt. Love the more advanced class and the higher intensity. The pads of my feet are now killing me, the sign of a great workout. Also loved that everyone in the class is my size LOL (it was my biggest peeve with the lower coloured belt ranks.... so many kids in the class that you don't get a real sparring experience when you're twice their height)

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Congratulations!! Well Done!!