Conan comic books (Marvel 1970)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ShadowHawk, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I regret selling my large conan collection back in 2008 (when I didnt even NEED the money just sold it for the sake of getting rid of it!).

Now I recently have started to re collect the Conans. With the recent release of the movie that bombed the comic book prices have gone down! Out of the first 20 issues (hardest and most expensive to get) I have more than half of. I have #1,3-6,8-13

They are fantastic books to read, very well written. The art is top notch, the stories are very "episode-like" so you never need to get ten books to finish one story, usually each issue is self contained. This is the only comic I really read/collect , I only like 2 others ones (Ghost Rider & Shadowhawk).

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'll come back and post after work. But yes selling that was a mistake!!! I grew up with Conan the Cimerian in all his various incarnations. 30 years later I'm still reading them! Whether it was the masterful illustrations of John Buscema, the Robert E. Howard paperbacks or the lavish paintings by Frank Frazetta... I was hooked! Still am! They've never done him justice in film and I daresay they never will. So I'm more than happy to keep pouring over the old comics and the newer collections between one cover as a trade paperback. Beyond awesome!

I'll come back and heap more praise on this stuff after I've gotten my head down and then up for work at 4:30 am. By Crom! That's wrong! :p

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I had both a large marvel and dark horse collection in 2006-2008

I now just collect the Marvel. I enjoy them more, more text, more detailed art ... the darkhorse art is simple but has good colors and modern effects on glossier paper, thats about it. The Marvel art is so good Savage Sword of Conan was published in black and white.

I currently only collect Conan The Barbarian but plan to get all the Savage Sword's next.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

If you enjoy Conan, and are ever looking for another comic to get into, I recommend Slaine.

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^thank you!

I also enjoy DC comics "Dungeons & Dragons" comic book. For the short 32 issue run it had, it established charaters I grew to love, and truly felt like a show or something that I was watching. The comic book and its characters just came to life for me.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

+1 for Slaine MacRoth from me too!!

Fantasy comics were always a fun read, and it cannot be conicidence that my favourite character is Dr Strange - a man who has a distinctly fantasy spin on his adevntures.

I actually used to own a couple of Conan AD&D "Pick of Path to Adventure" books - not the best, but an interesting novelty item

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I used to LOVE the pick your own adventure books as a kid! lol

I still have a Mario Bros. , I could never get to the end as a kid

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Try and pick up some of the old "Fighting Fantasy" ones - I got 4 for 50c each at a thrift store the other day...GREAT memories!

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I'd read all the Conan stories,including the stories finished or written new by L.S.deCamp and L.Carter before any of the original b&w comics were made,and what I especially liked was that initially they took the stories right from the writings,and didn't take poetic license with them. Well,except making him built like Steve Reeves, but that didn't matter.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My mum recently cleared her loft and gave me a load of my old stuff.
    Including almost all of the Conan novels (might be all but I haven't sorted them yet. :)
    Currently reading Conan the Conquerer.
    I think I basically learnt to draw by copying Conan (and 2000ad) comics.
    One image in particular I must have re-drawn 5 times. It's Conan fighting with a giant ape with one arm.
    And I have a massive framed print of this picture over my desk.

[​IMG]

As you can tell...I love's me some Cimmerian.

11. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Savage sword of conan is awesome. A great comic. Have read most of them, and also the rest of the Marvel stuff such as Conan the Barbarian. Haven't read anything from darkhorse (other than number 1)

Also, I've read all the Howard stories.

Note: I like ghost rider too.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Haven't read the Marvel comics. But I'm a rabid Conan fan and have read a couple of the graphic novels done more recently. I checked out later volumes and have to say that I'm probably going to bow out when Kurt Busiek stops illustrating them. (I'm not sure at what volume that happened.)

Agree with Slip that there's not been a really faithful movie adaptation of Conan. Or any other RE Howard property for that matter. With the possible exception of Solomon Kane, which I haven't gotten to see yet.

I did enjoy the most recent Conan movie. It's a perfectly decent generic fantasy actioner. It just wasn't Howard's Conan.

13. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I did enjoy it too, but as you say, it is not Howard's Consn.

The 1982 movie is closer. Superb soundtrack.

14. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Solomon Kane was a fun fantasy movie but really wasn't a faithful movie adaptation.

15. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I see Solomon Kane the movie more as a prequel to Howard's stories.

But the film was not succesful, so the clear second part might never come (or it might, a la ghost rider 2 movie even if first one was not succesful)

16. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

We have a small annual con here locally that Ernie Chan usually attends. It's funny because not many attendees even know who he is, but we always make a big fuss over him. Epic artist.

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I still want to see the Conan movie real bad (the new one).

I can watch the arnold Conan's back to back numerous times. Especially now that they are on Bluray. I need the Red Sonja bluray to be happy.

I am happy a bit, that the new Conan movie bombed, kept the comic book prices down.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sure. Basil Poulidoris for the win! The original movie is based on stories by (I believe) Lin Carter and L. Sprague DeCamp. In some ways, it was closer to Howard. And, again, a fun fantasy movie in its own right.

I miss the 80s, where those flicks were coming out in droves.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So basically on par with every other Howard adaptation then. Save for Kull, which wasn't especially fun either.

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^so Kull sucked? I havent seen that one either

The comic book looks cool