So I was attacked...

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by TheLastDancer, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TheLastDancer

TheLastDancer New Member

I've been training in aikido for 6 years. I was attacked in the street by a mugger last week and ended up getting beaten up pretty badly. I tried to do the pins but the guy broke free and it turned into a brawl. I honestly thought this would work.

I'm ok now albeit with a bad black eye, and I'm gutted to say this- aikido really doesn't work in a confrontation. Should this art be resigned to something traditional like Kendo and Tai Chi?

Jesus it's like a spell of complete delusion has been broken.

2. bud00

bud00 New Member

I would say that it was just a bad luck. Otherwise it's up to you how much force do you use it. I believe you could do some kick ass stuff but you hold back. On the other hand be happy that he didn't have knife or gun. I had as a kid once that kind of experience, got into a fight and then he pull out a gun (later known to be replica). Stay safe.

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Sorry if I misunderstand but why would you want to pin a mugger? Would you not defend yourself, strike maybe, and run away?

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm sorry that happened to you. It really sucks.

As for aikido, you've discovered the hard way that compliant uke's don't prepare you for anything. Don't blame aikido, blame the training methodology.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Very much this.

Mitch

6. Agoge

Agoge Valued Member

There is a world of difference between a dojo and a street. The earlier you learn that, the better you will be.

Study the "dissecting a dummy", IIRC, theory and go from there. (I can't remember who stated it...thought it was Bruce Lee...not sure) It's based on people who simply study static positions without any true resistance.

I am glad to hear you are ok! It could have ended up worse.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sorry to hear that man. Happened to me in a similar scenario. Took up combat sports after that.

Just be grateful you got away with a few bumps and bruises. Things could have been much worse.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Really sorry to hear this has happened to you. I've been in the same scenario as well. Robbed at knifepoint and taken from a high street into an alleyway.

But don't beat yourself down nor what you train in too much. Real life sucks and glad to see that you're well enough to post on the forum to discuss it.

I've always had a mantra in
    "It's not what you train in, it's how you train"

If you feel like changing arts, you go right on ahead. It's your choice in life.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry to hear you were attacked.

this is a terrific point.

tell us more about what happened, if you remember, and how you tried using pins.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That sucks, and I feel very bad for you. :(

That said -- if all you have is a black eye, I think you did very well.

Consider, if two boxers fight, and the loser comes away with a black eye and a bloody nose, etc, does he say, "Gee, I guess boxing doesn't work. I should learn something else." ?? No, he says, "Wow, that other guy was better than me." !! Likewise, maybe you just got mugged by someone who is a better fighter than you. Maybe he's had 7 years of fight experience versus your 6? :dunno:

Third -- I echo what HolyHead said: "compliant uke's don't prepare you for anything. Don't blame aikido, blame the training methodology." I had a 1st kyu rank from one aikido school. I walked into another school and couldn't do anything with them, because their training was so much different. It was so much more realistic that my old rank hardly counted for much. There is good aikido and there is crap aikido, and the difference is in how they train.

But hey, if all you have is a black eye and some scrapes, then maybe your aikido was actually very good! You were in a fight, after all! :)

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

At the same time, I really wouldn't advice putting too much stock in your current aikido training. Find a place that spars and spars very regularly. The less rules the better. Also, if you can find it, D.A.R.T or something similar.

12. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Agree with everything that's been said about training methods

Most aikido training has had some useful elements removed for safety / PR reasons, so this is a factor to consider I think

Having said that i guess you got your attacker to the floor (which is great), so maybe work on really securing your pins and understanding the history of the pins in aikido (which has a relevance I think). Also a static pin is quite difficult to keep indefinitely especially in SD situation so maybe study to give yourself options to cause just enough injury to keep you safe after you've achieved a take down

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Good point. Something in aikido must have worked really well to get that far. :eek: :D

LastDancer, I'd love to hear what the attempted pin was if you wouldn't mind sharing. Maybe you'd be willing to start a thread about how to make that pin work?

14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'm interested about what you mean by the above statement/question??
    :confused:

15. Giovanni

be careful in that this all could be trolling too. you could just as easily make a post that "i tried to box my mugger and my punches didn't work, ergo, neither does boxing".

i'm of the mind that it's not "aikido" that let anyone down. if one trains for six years in aikido and doesn't get the point, then that's on that person, not "aikido".

also, there is nothing in aikido that says that one can't punch his/her mugger in the face. just sayin'...

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My guess is the perception that Taiji is "slow exercise" rather than Supreme Ultimate.....Which to be fair probably applies to a lot of what passes as Taiji these days

17. Hannibal

90% of Aikido is atemi

18. Agoge

Agoge Valued Member

I think you can take whatever "art" you want as an example and look at it like this:

What part of it is actually "martial" at its basest level. Not the generic meaning of "martial" but the true militaristic, combative part of the art and separate it for its use in fighting, aka, combat.

When it comes to true fighting outside of your school, you have to be able to flip a switch that allows you to be as "violent" as necessary to elimate the threat against you. That part of the equation comes from within and can't be taught.

Aikido has its applications that can be useful in real-life situations. But, until you are mentally prepared to use those applications with the force necessary, they won't be any good. Train your mind and your body will follow.

Just my thoughts and ramblings.....

19. Giovanni

i know you've seen them, but the iwama training pictures with m. ueshiba and saito are amazing.

20. Hannibal

Yes and no

I can - and have - take people to a level of "resolution options" that they never had thought possible before

ANY art needs context for transmission to a more "street" setting - it usually is a case of how much is required due to the training method